Sunday 5 May 2013

3) Containers

big ones...small ones...and rucksacks
 
 
Here Dave Canterbury explains the importance of containers in his survival and outdoor situations, on a smaller budget.
 
 
ALUMINIUM Dave...... But anyway, lets start with my main rucksack at present:
 
This is my daily use, fit-in-to society and the rat-race, multipurpose general backpack.
 
It has side netting for drinks etc, a bladder pouch and comfortably takes my 2ltr bladder camel pak.
 
The bag has the capacity to hold 25ltrs worth of equipment or items.
 
This bag is very comfortable and feels sturdy.
 
Its ideal for hiking due to its bright colour and water resistant shell (but i must get a raincover i think)
 
I work from home a lot and this bag takes everything I need for 3 - 4 days, I also use this for my swimming gear or just days out hiking etc.
 
It is a berghaus 247 pack, I have added reflective paracord zip pulls and only down point is that I cant undersling a tarp or sleeping kit below the bag.
 
I could use the walking stick holders for pals webbing attachments if so desired on this bag, and may well add some kit here in future.

I am in the process of upgrading this kit, and have a maxpedition kodiak gearslinger ordered which will become my primary day bag and have my EDC and camping survival kit in.
 
 
Here is my current selection of Maxpedition containers.
 
 
From bottom centre:
  1. Battery Pack, contains a plastic container that holds 4 AA and 6 AAA batteries.  This has a hard plastic container within.
  2. EDC Fatty organiser - a large pouch with various sections inside, it'll be kept in the car.
  3. Janus Extension Pouch - this is a great piece of kit, it has 2" clips which is intended to extend a maxpedtion gearslinger or versipack series shoulder strap.
  4. EDC Organiser, a smaller version of the fatty.
  5. Barnacle pouch - this will eventually house my fire making kit.

A full review of each item will be posted at later date when field tested more throughout May.

My primary fluid containers are shown below:

The tatonka mug is stainless steel and is a great piece of kit for making a brew on a small fire / stove.
 
This fits together very nicely with a 32oz nalgene bottle, this is a robust combination and really works well together. 
 
This will go into a side pocket of rucksack or hopefully in with my cooking kit to a new system im planning.

 
This is the Hi Gear Backpack 2 cook set from Go outdoors, I am surprised at this really good quality piece of kit. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 The 4 containers all stack together to make a small enough system that can be easily packed away in any cook kit, in fact my gas stove is stored within this set. 
 
It is remarkably light weight, and on tests whilst out camping - its perfect for my needs.  The coating gives some non-stick protection and the handles feel sturdy and strong. 
 
I highly recommend this item for lone campers and expedition or hiking trips where you might fancy a brew and a hot snack.
 
 
 
As previously indicated, I am updating my current kit.  This is on my list for my next purchase and will form the basis of my kit.  The Maxpedition Vulture II backpack.  A large and rugged pack thatll hold all I need for a 72 hour trip.
 
I will update this post when I have the final kit system so I can compare and show how this works...

No comments:

Post a Comment